Who are we

We are a family of 3 who took a break from our routine. All born in England, we have lived in Scotland since 2002 but from February to the end of July 2011 we were on the road in North America for 6 months. We are Mark (also known as Dad), Rachel (also known as Mum... and a whole bunch of other names... my usual at-home blog is here) and Heather (10/11 years of age during the trip).

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Arctic conditions, tropical rainforests... all in one day

Watching the polar bear

So, yesterday we went to Toronto Zoo. It was pretty amazing. Sure, on a snowy February day a lot of the outdoor African animals were nowhere to be seen but there was so much else to observe and it was all so well-designed and (best for me) it was all fairly free of human crowds (it being a Monday in midwinter). Highlights were the Tundra section (Arctic wolves and foxes and hs favourite 3 majestic polar bears), the Sumatran orangutans and the Western Lowland gorillas but it was all pretty spectacular. Mark took a lot of photos but the best of them (still quite a lot) can be seen here.


Toronto Zoo

8 comments:

The Bug said...

Great pictures! Still wishing I had H's hair. Sigh. If I died it, it probably wouldn't look right, would it?

The Bug said...

Oh Lord - DYED, not died. !

Rachel Fox said...

I used to dye my hair something like that colour... about thirty years ago!
x

Rachel Fenton said...

Don't go and dye on us, Bug! Made me chuckle! I'm always doing that - typing the wrong homonyms, not dying (either meaning).

Oh, what was I ...ah, yes, so nice to see winter animals getting the appropriate climeat in a zoo for a change, though! Nothing more pitiful that a malting beast on a slab of concrete! Super pics - soooo envious!

Also, I keep seeing this blog pop up on my blog roll and thinking, who the hick is that - then remembering, tis t'other Rachel!

Eryl said...

A polar bear eating a carrot isn't something I ever thought I'd see!

Rachel Fox said...

The bears had herring for main course and carrots for afters. They really took their time over the carrots - seemed to enjoy them.

x

Andy M said...

Cool pics mark...the bear with carrots look quite surreal

Kat Mortensen said...

The Toronto Zoo is quite a trek, isn't it? We went about 10 years ago now. It's sort of an every decade kind of thing.
I'm always of two minds when I visit - excited to see the animals up close, but sad that they have to be there at all.